Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Everything in Threes

I remember a friend telling me that good things come in threes. This year - 2015 - I found myself getting married, moving to Cebu, and now having recently gave birth to a beautiful and healthy baby girl.

What a whirlwind.  My flight to Cebu was the day right after the wedding.  I found that I was pregnant not long after.  It was easy to be overwhelmed with the move, learning a new dialect, getting used to the Cebu office where I work as a corporate counsel, and trying to make new friends.  But my in laws are awesome, DH was the coolest husband, and I had no pregnancy issues.  I adapted quite quickly to the more laid-back Cebu pace and was enjoying every moment of my pregnancy, except that I had to pause with triathlon training and racing, and tone down on my exercises.

Now I'm on my maternity leave, adjusting to motherhood and the many changes it brings with it. I can honestly say that the past two-three weeks post partum have been really hard. I found myself crying randomly over the smallest things.

This tiny human being needs all of my time (and milk!) for survival. I was at her beck and call 24/7.

It's exhausting. Throw in the fact that I'm on "ge lai" Chinese tradition. House arrest for a month. I'm also perpetually hot and sweaty from breastfeeding. (On the plus side, I lost a lot of my pregnancy fats and am only a few pounds shy of my original weight!)

But there are rainbows to look forward to. Every day there's progress and every day I feel more of myself again.  I've started to be a master interpreter of Maddy's tiny cues for feeding, changing her diaper, gas, overheating, clogged nose, reflux, etc.

I can't wait til the end of my ge lai when hubby and I can go out on a date night! (or date afternoon :P)
(Two weeks old!)


Wong. Two. Three. Breathe. Relax. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment